Earlier this week, I had planned for uninterrupted time to complete three-writing intensive projects for clients. It’s been unusually cold outside and Mr. President, my English Bulldog, is not one to weather the chilly temperatures. He misses his daily walks and has cabin fever.
- Don’t finish another person’s sentence…you might just be wrong.
- If you are involved in the middle of something and cannot be interrupted, ask the other person if you can make time later so you can give her your undivided attention.
- Allow yourself to look the person in the eye. It will eliminate the desire to “multi-task” while you are listening.
- If you only have five minutes, let the other person know but make it five minutes of active listening.
- Allow for pregnant pauses. It allows the other person to share everything on her mind.
- Don’t interrupt. It’s simply rude.